Saturday, March 1, 2008

Use of the Word Gay as a Synonym for Sucks

I'm not gay. My older sister is. I am totally guilty of using the word "gay" in this context. I'm even guilty of using the word "faggotry". I'm not getting on a political soapbox about gay stuff, really I'm not. During the Ellen show yesterday she spoke about a fifteen year old boy that was shot and killed on Feb 12 for being gay. Something about it struck a chord in me as I thought about my older sister. This is the email I sent her:

If weren't for you I'm not sure if I would understand the plight of the gay and lesbian community. It's sad to think that I might be as narrowminded as so many others and even though there are things that I totally don't get about you and your crazy friends (Bubbas are you serious?...j/k...the nuns were funny though) and even though I sometimes make the mistake of referring to things as "gay" I am committed to dropping that use of the word from my vocabulary for your sake and the sake of your other "family". It's not my scene and I know that I'll always see it from the outside, but hopefully, because of you I can help educate those around me that don't understand. Thanks.

It's wrong to use the word gay synonymously with sucks or lame or stuff like that. I don't care where you stand on the issue of gay marriage, gay rights, gay this or that. It doesn't matter. Gay people are humans. When we do or say things that hurt other people, we do or say things that hurt ourselves because we are all connected. Like I said, I'm guilty. But I'm gonna stop. I've come to realize that to use gay in that context is no different than using the "N" word because it is hurtful. I think sometimes we use words out of fear and out of a sense of needing to belong to the crowd that isn't that thing. Seriously, this isn't about gay or straight. I don't care where you stand. It's about loving compassion for people. And I can get behind that. No matter who they are.

No comments: